Sunday, September 26, 2010

First day at School

So, the past few days have been quite eventful.  So much happened last Friday:  I went to school for the first full day and I think I found an appartment!  School was fun but it was such a long day.  We got there a little after 8:00 and hung out with all of the teachers.  Everyone sits around and drinks coffee.  I don't really understand the size of the cups in France.  That morning before school Jessica's mom gave me some coffee in a huge bowl of a mug.  Then we get to school and everyone is drinking coffee in teacups the size of shot glasses.  At dinner too, the glasses they had were teeny.  I think I would prefer more than a shot of water with my dinner haha.  Or more than a shot of coffee in the morning, but less than a bowl I think. 
Oh well, anyway, the teachers are pretty nice at school.  They are mostly younger girls in their twenties, but the head teacher is a middle aged man who is nice, but strict.  For instance, Thursday when I was brought in to be introduced he refused to stop his class to say hi, but Friday he seemed to be in a better mood.  He kept making jokes, including the fact that my new appartment is right across from an apparently popular bar, Mc Ewan's, which everyone calls Mac's.  The best part of school though were the children of course.  They are adorable!  I love their accents, and I could barely keep from laughing when I sat through their English lesson.  We all sang a song using school supply vocab...which was hilarious because some of the words were apparently British words, like a copy book for notebook, felt tips for markers, and my personal favorite a rubber meaning an eraser.  I had to hold my tongue when they all sang "Eeets a rubbahh, eeets a rubbahh." (It's a rubber.)
I can't wait to go back to school tomorrow to observe again, and then move into my appartment!  But, enough for today, I'll be sure to tell you all about my appartment and new roomies once I move in.
A toute a l'heure!

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! I was laughing out loud about the school supplies song. Wow, that's ridiculous. OH and I also found the coffee cups quite interesting. It's cool that French culture continues to surprise you!

    p.s. I am sorry I missed your call. I was at mass. But I was very excited to get your message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was hilarious. And extremely cute. I can't wait to hear more about French children.

    ReplyDelete