Monday, October 4, 2010

First Week in Lens

Hi again everyone, sorry that I haven't been able to post in awhile, if there is anyone out there following this besides my parents haha.  A lot has happened this first week that I've had an actual residence here in Lens.  So, last Monday I moved into my new appartment, and things have been going really well.  The appartment is like pretty much a house that the landlord once lived in and now rents out.  My two roomates and I each have our own room and then share a bathroom, dining room, kitchen, and internet corner.  We don't yet have our own internet connection, but for the past few days have been stealing someone else's wifi.  My roomates are really awesome.  Mounia, a girl, and Amine, a guy, are both students at two different small universities here in Lens.  They are both actually from Morocco, and speak French and Arabic and some English.  Mounia has been in France for about a year and a half, but Amine has only been here for about a month.  They are both really nice...they even keep paying for my dinner whenever we go out to eat lol- which you know is something you might do the first time we all go out together, but they keep doing it and I keep offering to pay them but I don't want to offend them so I'm not sure what to do.  I assume it will eventually stop.  And, Mounia has even invited me to go back to Morocco with her in February to visit her family in Casablanca which I think I will definitely have to take advantage of, haha maybe that means she'll pay for my plane ticket.  Mounia is really friendly and keeps introducing me to all of her friends so it's nice to meet a lot of French people, and Arab people too- she seems to know the entire Arab population in Lens, which means we've been eating at a lot of kebab restaurants lately.  And, we've been eating a lot of fries too.  Apparently it's a northern France thing to have these delicious friteries where I think they double deep fry the "frites."  I thought I would lose weight on my trip to France, but looks like that might not happen with a friterie literally right around the corner from my appartment.  Well there's always the local Curves I could go to which I came across while I was taking a walk today.
So, everything is going well with my appartment.  My roomates are really cool, and the appartment itself isn't too bad.  It's in a great location: 10 minute walk from the school where I work and like a 5 minute walk from the center of town, which has plenty of shops, restaurants, brasseries, cafes, and bars.  My room itself is pretty nice too, I'll have to put up some pics.  And the view from my room is nice of the trees that line the street and the people who hang out at Mc Ewan's across the street.  The only thing that is slightly annoying is the bathroom.  The shower, if you can even call it that, is not ideal- it's very European.  If you don't know what I mean just turn on House Hunters International.  I think I figured out the real reason why Europeans don't shower as much as us- it's not to save water, it's cause it's too much trouble.  Oh well, it could be worse I guess.  I don't have much to complain about, everything seems to be going really well so far.  This week I will continue to observe at school and then on Wednesday I'll go to Lille for an orientation for the assistants in the area, so I'll be sure to let you all know how that goes.  A tout a l'heure!  

No comments:

Post a Comment