Thursday, September 23, 2010

Le Nord de la France

I made it to France!  And the past couple of days have been quite hectic.  Once the plane landed I was nervous but excited.  Stepping off the plane it didnt really feel like I was in a totally new place.  It felt familiar- but that was probably because I could still hear all of the Americans around me speaking English.  I was excited to be back in Paris again where I had spent 5 months before and could navigate fairly well.  But then as I made my way to immigration, I was greeted by a huge mob of other travelers waiting to get into France.  So, after not really sleeping throughout the plane ride, I was not exactly excited anymore about being in Paris and having to wait an hour and a half for them to barely glance at my passport. 
But I made it!  And I really shouldn't have worried much at all, because things seem to be working out.  I had someone to get me at the station, even though I had to wait another hour and a half after arriving in Lille, and  not being exactly sure whether she was going to be able to make it.  Then after taking an hour of that time trying to figure out how to make a phone call on the payphone to reach her (and to reach my parents) I was greeted by a very friendly voice who so nonchalantly stated, I'll be there in half an hour.  But, I had somone to come get me.  And, I have a place to stay.  With her parents because they have internet access and a bed and they feed me.  They're very nice people which helps me feels better about being here in France alone.  But I'm not really alone though-for now I have Jessica's mom and dad (who don't seem to me to be the typical French, at least not the typical Parisiens- her dad wears wife beaters and has quite a few tattoos, and they're both quite humorous when I understand what they're saying.  And I have Jessica, who's helped me out a lot with showing me around and helping me find a place to stay.  Today I went to the school to meet everyone, even though most of the teachers were on strike, including Jessica, go figure!  But the children were adorable and I think they're excited to have met an American.  And I think I even found an appartment, living in Lens with a couple of roomates.  All in the same day!  So I guess we'll see what the next few days bring!

1 comment:

  1. yay madeline! i am so glad to hear things are working out. AND that your temporary family is interesting, as well as nice. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete